2nd post, let's make it properly despite of the late time again, just so everyone knows, I'm just back from Chica-fabulous-go and Metallica's show on Tuesday was simply awesome (though American crowd is kinda lame compared to the French, no offense here :p ). Now let's get it on with the Questions!
Oh, by the way Jet's new album sounds great, you all gotta check it out!
Now...focus...let's start...
¤This year, I want to acquire teaching skills specific to French language, my goal is to figure out by the end of the year wether I should cary on my studies in FLE and try to become a French teacher (abroad or in France, I still have sometime to think about it) or rather in English Culture in order to become an English teacher instead. Another option would be not to be a teacher at all, I guess it will be mostly up to my students, depending on how hard a time they are going to give me throughout the year! So in brief, I want to learn how to be a good French teacher, I want to learn the right way to prepare French classes, how to create a will to learn in my students' minds, how to make them enjoy my classes and efficient tricks to make sure they have learned something from my classes.
¤I discovered, somehow to my disapointment, how easy it was to obtain good grades in the American educational system, I learned how to correct and grade tests the American way and I believe the grades are not relevent to what the students have actualy learned, I think sometimes it rewards some students when they should rather be told to study harder, I also believe it doesn't help them learn more, or at least a better way, some of them obviously just do the minimum work just not to be punished or get a bad grade and these ones don't seem to improve, very often they show a lack of interest for their studies, or French at least and I think this is when they should be confronted to this reality and the teacher should do something about it instead of letting go. But of course it's just my French strict opinion, I just thought it was the right place to share it and see everyone's reaction...
¤About myself, I could only observe how I naturaly got involved in the life of the class. Very fast, I felt concerned about all the students, what they learn and the way they learn it, I want them to acquire real language skills in reading, writing, speaking and understanding, and of course I want them to enjoy it and like me as a teacher! This is why I keep trying to make my classes more and more attractive and find new ways to entertain them as they learn. I still have to improve but it's always stuck on my mind when I prepare my classes and I believe it will flow as I long as we keep this friendly but professional relation we share.
That's it, I'm eager to read your feedback my fellow French interns! And yours to Mrs Wolf!
dimanche 18 octobre 2009
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
Hey Brice.
RépondreSupprimerIt's interesting to see how different it can be from one grade to the other. But here obviously, from Kindergarten to 9th grade, there is logically not much in commun.
You're kids obtain their good grades too easily, while mine actually don't have grade but definitely have to go through a very difficult year, learning in a foreign language at 5 years old.
Your concern is that some kids don't work as hard as they could, while mine actually who actually don't get any formal work makes me worried about their learning abilities or my teaching abilities.
But even though our classrooms are very different we still have things in commun in our character. That involvment you talked about, this will to make the students better and learning in the "right way". And our background, studying in France and wondering whether we should study to become a teacher in France or a French teacher somewhere else...
Would you feel comfortable with teaching to young kids? How is your relationship with 9th grader that actually could be quite handful and difficult to manage?
Because I would probably be anxious about teaching in middle school.
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.
RépondreSupprimerI actualy requested to work with 9th graders for I feel much more comfortable with them, communicating with very young kids requires over-human abilities that seem to be out my reach...
RépondreSupprimerThe most important part of managing my relationship with students is to draw a line between being a cool teacher with whom they feel comfortable and being like an older buddy. This line can actualy be spoted quite easily as you long as you come up with enough maturity and sense of hierarchy in school (not to say authority), the hardest part is the curiosity to see how close to this line you can get without crossing it, it's like a dangerous but attractive game, you know what I mean? I really want to create a friendly atmosphere in my classroom but I don't want it to get in the way of my role as a teacher.
But as long as you don't step toe over this line but get close enough, there is nothing to be anxious about, turns out they are quite well behaved, serious ans obediant for the most part.