mardi 10 novembre 2009

About a girl...(Nirvana)

During our last English session I had the pleasure to get to know more about Elsa. It had been two month since we had arrived in Edina and I realized I barely knew her. It occurred to me that in a group of 23 people who don't even meet on a regular basis for casualties, it would probably be hard to know each one of us very well, but I should say that he who would not get a chance to speak with Elsa would be truly missing out.
Like most of us I suppose, Elsa is utterly fascinated with American culture and have always had a taste for foreign languages, to which she owes her very good English level. She also speaks other languages, hopefully she will forgive me for not having written it down clearly, and maybe the fact that she has family from Lebanon helped in raising in her this will to learn more about different cultures and languages.
That won't be a surprise either, Elsa longs to be a teacher and this trip is the opportunity for her to improve her teaching skills and confirm her professional purpose. But how pleasantly surprised I was when she said she was also willing to become a translator, just like I am, and right now she is trying to figure out which way she should follow, so we have this in common too! Her interest into translation is nothing new; she has been a book worm for ages and every now and then she would even translate writings on her own, just for fun, how passionate is that? And unlike me, she had the fortune to be spared the boring Ancient Greek translating theories classes I had to attend during my first year in University...
And what does she do when she is not enjoying herself translating some text nor being a one of a kind kindergarten teacher will you ask? Well pay attention because this is something she likes people to know about her but she is too modest to talk about it herself: she is a complete artist. Her talent in song writing is not to be proved anymore among the interns, but she also likes painting and cooking, which I think is some kind of art in which for my part I desperately lack inspiration and technique...
So in one word, though hundreds wouldn't be enough to describe her properly, I would say Elsa is creative, something she probably got from her parents because, if you take a close look at her cute smile, it is obviously the masterpiece of an artist!

1 commentaire:

  1. Owww that is so sweet !

    Hey, now I know I'm not the only translating stuff for fun ! :p

    Morgane

    RépondreSupprimer